Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Moving Mountains Baby Blanket




Baby fever has hit! Lately, there have been a number of babies born into my extended family. Two nieces and a nephew (and their significant others) have welcomed bouncing bundles of joy in the last few months. I couldn't be more excited and I can't wait to meet them. They all live far away so I'm not sure when it will happen but I really hope it is soon. It is hard to wrap my head around it because it seems like only yesterday they were babies. But, of course, they are married and all grown up, and now, parents themselves. Whenever a new baby comes along, I get started on my favourite thing to give as a gift - a knitted blanket. Now, I don't just pull up any old ball of yarn and get going. I love to match the pattern, the yarn, the colour to whomever I am giving the gift to. To me, the details matter. That way, when I am knitting, I think of that person and can put my love into the
                                         stitches.



Knit Picks Shine worsted in French Blue

There are a few guidelines that I like to follow when making a knitted blanket. I use cotton. You never know if a baby will be allergic to wool and although there are many great options I still believe cotton is the way to go. I usually go 100% cotton, but I don't mind if there is a blend of something else in there. The yarn I am using for this blanket is Shine from Knit Picks. It is 60% cotton and 40% modal. I find it to be super soft, with a nice drape, it has a good weight to it without being too heavy. Cotton is a little tricky. You have to find a good quality yarn otherwise you can have a whole host of problems. Cotton can be rough, it can split easily but I have never had a problem with better quality yarns. One of the reasons why I like to knit with cotton, or a cotton blend is that I want people to use the blanket. I want them to be able to
take it everywhere with them, let it drag on the ground, get food on it and then be able to throw it in the wash over and over again. With cotton you don't have to worry about it shrinking or felting. You can wash away and it just gets softer and softer over time. I have, on occasion and at the request of the parents, made heirloom blankets that they hung up on the wall of the nursery and although I love the results I'm happier when they use the blanket. I was so happy to hear that for one family the blanket was so beloved that it went from a huge crib blanket, to a stroller blanket, to a smaller blanket they used to sleep with even when he went on sleepovers. It eventually became a pillow because the child didn't want to let it go and that was the parents' way of saving it.



In the many years I have been making blankets I have rarely repeated a pattern. Sometimes there is a special pattern that makes its way to a couple of recipients bu that is because I love the pattern so much. This is a new pattern for me.  I am using the pattern "Moving Mountains" by Aimee Alexander. I came across Aimee's patterns as I was searching for a perfect pattern and I was so in love with her unique designs that I bought a whole bunch. I knew I would need 4 immediately so I made sure to have a few designs to pick from. She sells them individually or she has booklets with an assortment of patterns. This pattern was made for a boy although it would work easily for a girl. It has a lacy diamond pattern that makes the blanket look so beautiful. I really loved it. This is the second pattern I have made from the ones I recently purchased and I have to say Aimee writes a great pattern. They are easy to follow. You have the choice of whether to use the written or chart form. I love the written form. For me it is the way my brain works. I can see the design in the chart form, but somehow it takes me forever to figure out what I should do next. Then there are the rows in between the actual diamond and I never know what to do. I hate having to remember that a circle is a yarn over or the slash is a purl. And oh ya, it is a purl on a right side row and a knit on a wrong side row. Uch! Not for me. I rather just have it in plain English. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with this pattern. It looks way more impressive than it is difficulty level. I couldn't memorize it (but that is just me - I can't remember anything anymore) but I'm sure you could. But it was easy enough to follow and still be relaxing. I love knitting lacy patterns and there weren't any huge mistakes that I had to undo so it went smoothly.


So this is the final product. Because the siblings live far away, I will have to finish the next blanket before I can send it on its' way. I will post it when I finish that blanket. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you like knitting with cotton? Do you have a favourite baby pattern that you would love to share? Also, if you are on ravelry, you can find me as Girlsound and follow my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment